return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Wow, has anyone noticed that this is....

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Mountain Kingsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Ryan Hoyer at Thu May 29 09:45:49 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Ryan Hoyer ]  

I check in every couple days or so. Too busy to keep right on top of fast moving threads.

Seems to me there are only a limited number of ways to precipitate follicle development. Most are internal only to the female. One could hypothesize a number of male induced triggers - copulation (similar to how cats must be copulated in order to stop estrus), presence of retained sperm/semen hormones (current or prior year), or tactile stimulation.

However, I believe I have observed females develop follicles in the spring where there has been no male influence in the current or prior year (other than presence in nearby cages). Anecdotal evidence strongly suggests to me that what drives follicle development is entirely internal to the female – at least the first time in the Spring. That’s part of why I would expect that the development of a second clutch in a second season is entirely dependent on the female, and body condition is one of my prime suspects.

I do wonder if given different times of year, will the same female in the same condition produce a second clutch under one circumstance, but not the other? I.e. Allan, if your female had laid her first clutch on June 23rd (after the summer solstice) rather than in May, given the same conditions, would she have attempted to produce a second clutch? Could she be sensing that daylight hours are still increasing, and thus, she has ‘plenty of time to give it a second go’?

-----
Ophidiarium Charieis

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Good point part deaux - JKruse, Fri May 30 10:05:37 2008

<< Previous Message:  Wow, has anyone noticed that this is.... - JKruse, Wed May 28 16:19:30 2008