return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: death in the eggs at full term

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Chameleons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: sandrachameleon at Tue May 27 00:44:02 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by sandrachameleon ]  

Sorry to hear this. Your incubation set-up sounds essentially okay. I've not had this problem myself, so my thoughts are shots in the dark....

How far apart were the eggs within the vermiculite? Could be the stronger ones hatching caused the others to synchronize and hatch prematurely. They dont always have to hatch at the same time, and keeping them a few inches separated tends to reduce the likelyhood of one hatchling triggering the rest to hatch.

Did the moisture level increase or decrease any after the first four hatched? or were some higher up or less covered than others? Too much moisture can sofocate, too little and they have trouble slitting the shell. Some people mist the eggs when they show signs of sweating and hatching is imminently expected. I dont though, and have never had any not hatch, so perhaps my environment has higher humidity, or perhaps this step is just not necessary.

If you encounter the problem again, you could try to manually slit the eggsshells yourself, to help the little ones out.

-----
Sandra
BC Canada

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: death in the eggs at full term - CHLAMYDOSAURUS, Tue May 27 09:23:40 2008

<< Previous Message:  death in the eggs at full term - CHLAMYDOSAURUS, Mon May 26 15:59:59 2008