return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Young Rosy Feeding Question

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rosy Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: mledubya at Tue Jun 10 16:20:15 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by mledubya ]  

I have a young rosy boa female between 16 and 18 inches long. I read that with rosies in particular one should be careful about feeding food items that are too large, and the general rule of thumb with any snake is to feed it nothing larger than the widest part if its body. So even though my rosy is by no means really a baby, she's still eating pinkie mice because fuzzies are by far bigger than her body. I give her one every 3-4 days even though she usually becomes very active the day after she eats, like she's all done digesting and ready for more. Should I feed her more, or should I feed her bigger prey? I've had her since Feb and she's only shed twice and seems to hardly have grown at all.

She's gotten really grouchy lately, too. She doesn't want to be handled anymore, even though I generally handle her at LEAST every other day, so she should be plenty used to it. She'll try to strike at me, but hasn't really connected a strike with my hand (yet). She also tries to eat me sometimes when I'm holding her...she'll have her mouth pressed against my palm or arm and just open up and try to swallow some part of my flesh that in now way would ever fit in her mouth. So that makes me attribute her grouchiness to hunger.

I have a photo of her with a pinkie in her mouth from about two weeks ago. Do you think she could eat larger prey or should I stick with what she's got?

Thanks!!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Does this sound right? - Danne, Wed Jun 18 16:37:57 2008
<< Previous topic:  Rosy Boa or Ball Python? - Merry07, Mon Mar 24 02:25:18 2008