return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Beginning Condas... Yellow?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Anacondas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Bryant_King at Fri Jun 20 21:23:20 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Bryant_King ]  

I am not sure from your post what is more important to you, manageable size or mellow temperament. The yellows are smaller, but snippier. Tame greens are not uncommon. Almost any snake can be tamed, especially if a young animal is obtained and worked with frequently, but greens are much more likely to be mellow than yellows in my experience. I have sold a number of green and yellow anacondas. I now own young green anacondas.

After largely being away from reptiles for a few years, I made the decision to get into green anacondas last year. 4 out of 5 imported babies calmed right down. The fifth will take some more effort and will probably not be included in breeding efforts. I have found green anacondas generally easier to tame than Burmese pythons if you start with babies of both.

My own anecdotal observation is that green anacondas hate confinement. A "tame" green anaconda will bite you coming out of a bag and this may also apply if they feel confined in their cage. My fifth anaconda mentioned above may feel too confined in its current cage and a new cage is on order. He went from calm to snippy and I think he may feel he has outgrown his cage.

I certainly don't want to talk you into a potentially dangerous green anaconda, but they are generally calmer than the yellows. I would plan on a green anaconda being less likely to bite, but the consequences potentially more dangerous as they age.

You don't want to trust any potentially dangerous animal, but my green anacondas are more mellow in their feeding responses and are slow to strike. If you are use to "reading" Burmese pythons and their temperament, you will have to learn a new language with anacondas. Burms get huffy and strike. Anacondas will lean towards you and push bite. Similar to the difference between a rat snake and a kingsnake.

I have had them less than a year, and they are still small, but I am becoming a huge fan of the green anacondas. They are slow, deliberate snakes compared to more frenetic Burmese. Others here may have more experience with yellow anacondas, but I have found most yellows to be significantly more jumpy and temperamental than green anacondas or Burmese.

You mentioned Indian pythons. If you can find them, they can be more aggressive than any of the other species listed. But I have been able to tame them with a bit of effort. Neat species that is worth working with, but they start off mean.

I hope this helps a little.

Bryant King
-K Boids

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Beginning Condas... Yellow? - OKReptileRescue, Sat Jun 21 13:06:26 2008
>> Next Message:  RE: Beginning Condas... Yellow? - 3y3c3, Mon Jun 23 06:12:38 2008
>> Next Message:  RE: Beginning Condas... Yellow? - 3y3c3, Mon Jun 23 06:14:53 2008

<< Previous Message:  Beginning Condas... Yellow? - 3y3c3, Fri Jun 20 03:55:47 2008