return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Beginning Condas... Yellow?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Anacondas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: 3y3c3 at Mon Jun 23 06:12:38 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by 3y3c3 ]  

Thank you for the quick response! That was quite informative, I had no idea that burms were more frantic than some of the other giants. Greens have never sounded so good! I've never actually had a green but a friend has, and he didn't have a lot of good to say about them, and I was inclined to believe him as we pried the little bone crusher off my hand!

I wasn't looking for managability or size actally, I was looking at is as a noob "you think you want a conda!? can you *handle* a conda? huh? huh?" start small n work up was my thought process there, but nippy is a kind of frustrating place to start with snakes! My first burmese python was puppy dog tame, he struck at me maybe twice his whole life, both times were errors on my part. My girl though, belladonna, she was nippy for the first year! not cool, even as babies those guys have great aim!

Sluggish biters seem somehow more manageable, but dont condas have a higher water requirement? I read that they, in their native environments, are almost always found lurking around the water, swamps and wetlands and such. I try to recreate key elements in their cages, and a large reservoir is possible, but if I don't have to maintain a large reservoir, I don't want too!

Thank you for the recommendation on supplier, I love those, word of mouth is the best way to shop in my opinion! And I whole-heartedly agree with you, quality animals are paramount. My standard phase male burm was a pet store purchase, crowded in 20 gallon with 5 or so siblings. Lame. But he turned out awesome, that I chalk up to luck. My albino standard girlie was bought from a private breeder through kingsnake classifieds, and I even paid an extra thirty bucks ish to get pick of the litter, and she has been the most negative, high-maintenance snake i've ever had, except when that guy pawned off his anemic mite infested redtail he didn't want anymore (a$$ h*le). But she's just now coming around, starting to trust me as her roaming perch, and provider of all, and mellowing out.

It's funny somehow to me to hear that Indian Rock and African Rocks are such angry things! Does this have anything to do with sheer minority of captive breeding? Retics and burms and condas and boas have been mainstreamed, but no ones got scores of african rocks or indian rocks floating around it seems... and with the indian being so restricted and papered, I just dont see how they are ever going to be more than a rarity. Still though, in my days with the pythons, I would like to learn to "read" all of them, retics, afrocks, indian rocks, burms, ceylonese, bateaters, all of it! They are a regal and noble species, modern day dragons. Cant get enough!

Final note, murinus can get up to 350 pounds, right? D@mn that's a lot of snake! Burms seem to stabilize in the 10-20 foot range and 1-200 pounds... seems feesible, for a giant at least, but 350 is quite incredible! I will consider pondering this venue for a few more months, maybe another year or so before I actually decide on a conda or not. If I do, i'll take your advice and go through your recommendation! I have some more burms to buy though for a breeding project, and that's still a few grand away! Lol

Again thanks man!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Beginning Condas... Yellow? - Bryant_King, Fri Jun 20 21:23:20 2008