return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Water Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Desert Iguana . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: injured spotted OP

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Spotted, Bog & Wood Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: emy_did_it at Wed Jun 25 14:41:52 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by emy_did_it ]  

Good to know about the "hormone boost" ...this makes sense. I'll continue to keep a very close eye on them (aka: HIM). Sounds like we have about the same setup (55 gal) at the moment. I'm with you on the 150 gal tank though. The bigger the better. No matter how large an enclosure we provide, we'll never be matching the freedom to roam that they would have in the wild. That said, a nice big tank could make for a very nice setup. Not sure whether you'll be able to keep your trio together. I would guess it depends a lot on your male's personality (and hormone level). Its worth a shot though. Just tell your wife you need the tank to protect the ladies' virtue (and if it doesn't work out then you'll just have to buy more tanks!).

Curtis, it sounds like we're aspiring to the same outdoor pond setups at a future date. In the meantime, I'm considering a simple sweaterbox setup (w/ sphagnum) that I can take them outside in during nice days (on the balcony away from predators). Incidentally, I've seen some great deals on used pond liners in the Farm/Garden section of Craigslist.

BTW, you didn't mention whether that injured female dropped her eggs yet. If she's at the vet anyway, you might consider giving her an injection to drop the eggs. I would think that would eliminate some stress from nesting and might help her out. You'd be getting into sticky legalities again though. Maybe just transport the eggs to a man-made nest in your "sanctuary backyard." Got any pictures of hatchlings emerging from under your nest screens???

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: injured spotted OP - zzzdanz, Tue Jun 24 22:29:42 2008