return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: I hate my Ig

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Iguanas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: laurarfl at Wed Jun 25 16:13:04 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by laurarfl ]  

Hi there...I am far from an iggy expert, but here are some things I'm doing with mine, about the same age as yours. Actually, my ig may be a bit younger. He/she's 6" SVL, but had a tough time in the beginning, so it may be a bit small for its age. I don't know if it will help, but maybe it will give a comparison.

It seems like at this size they cross over from scared little hatchlings to lizards who try to defend themselves, even going on the offense. Mine also eats like a horse, so I can see how a hungry ig could put a hurting on a finger thinking it was food! While I use food as a treat for my ig sometimes, I personally choose to avoid hand feeding to prevent aggression problems in the future. Now, I'm not sure how ig people feel about this issue, but I have a few tegus and they can become quite food aggressive. Also, tegus can be snots as juveniles because they try to eat everything and can be rather nippy. I apply those rules to my ig simply because I don't like to get bit!

When I first got my ig, he had a terrible skin infection and I had to catch him every day, twice a day to apply meds and soak him, and move him to a basking cage. I know it wasn't the best for taming, but I have continued with this tradition. I spend time next to his cage (he's behind my computer chair), and I turn around and talk to him at times. I'll sit on the floor next to his cage and hang out, slowly open the door, and put my hand inside. I'll offer him a piece of greens and he'll nibble. (I'd offer a stalk if I was afraid he was going to bite). The whole time he's looking at me like, "OMG, it's going to get me!!!" Then I'll slowly reach in with both hands and round him up. He's skittish, but he'll let me pick him up and walk around with me. The other day I took him into the bathroom and sat on the floor with the door shut. He looked like the most terrified lizard in the world, but he did OK, he hung out with me for about 10 min and then I let him go bask outside. Every time I go pick him up, it's the same thing and I've had him for almost 4 full months. I just figure that it's going to take a long time

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: I hate my Ig - bigbruva, Mon Jul 21 16:53:01 2008

<< Previous Message:  RE: I hate my Ig - crimsonghost, Wed Jun 25 11:18:14 2008