return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: I hate my Ig

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Iguanas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: jiffypop at Wed Jun 25 23:47:38 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by jiffypop ]  

Patience, patience, patience...sometimes we just run out of it.

Iguana have different personalities and, accordingly, respond to our attempts to socalize them in different manners. The most important thing to remember is that you will not have a well socialized iguana until that animal trusts you. Iguanas under 7-8 inches SVL typically don't trust anyone or anything. All it knows is that you are a very large predator and that his life is in danger. Once they get a little more size on them they will be more willing to give you the trust that you desire.

I am not a fan of force handling or man-handling an iguana. Slow and steady, no pulling it from it's hiding spots, no restraining until it gives up. I'm a firm believer that some freedom helps build trust a bit faster. After the iguana gets a bath sit on the bathroom floor and let the iguana explore the room. Talk to it, make baby noises, read a book, just let it get used to your presence not being a threat. After several sessions like this start offering treats by hand. Slowly progress to touching, petting, and eventually holding the animal.

In 13 years of doing rescue we've had some (several dozen) pretty wild, terrified iguanas come through here. I've only had one that I was unable to properly socialize and I spent an entire 16 months on that animal with no progress. I was even successful with 2 adult male Rhino iguanas that had very little previous interaction with humans. It's possible, you just need an extra dose of patience sometimes.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: I hate my Ig - crimsonghost, Thu Jun 26 05:51:02 2008

<< Previous Message:  I hate my Ig - crimsonghost, Tue Jun 24 17:14:58 2008