return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Frog/Toad newbie-need help!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Amphibians - General Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: sunday_k at Fri Jul 11 21:37:00 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by sunday_k ]  

Hello all!

I recently took home a few tadpoles from someones filtered freshwater pond to try raising them basically just for the experience. I had 3 with legs and 4 very tiny ones that I put in my aquarium inside a breeder tank to keep them safe until they were larger. 2 of the large tadpoles died the first night, but everyone else is still fine so far. It's been about 3 weeks. My 4 babies are quite large now. Larger than my frog(toad?) that I've been attempting to feed for a week now. He/she is very small, about the size of the end of my pinky finger and neither really brown nor green. Ok, let's just call it a "he". I got him fruit flies because he's so small and he seems terrified of them. If they move to fast or get to close he hops away. I managed to get him to eat one fly so far since he lost his tail and decided he wanted to come up for air. He's so little, I'm afraid I'm going to lose him due to his nervousness around his meals! Is this a matter of natural selection?? The tadpoles are larger than him already and they are still black and have their tails. Is it possible he was just a runt or maybe the others have had it too good in my tank with daily feedings since such a young age? Is there a point where they eat something else in between algae and insects? Help please! Thanks in advance!

Here's a pic of him. He looks quite a bit more brown in this light than he does for real.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Frog/Toad newbie-need help! - otis07, Tue Jul 22 16:47:16 2008