return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: H. cinera question

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Tree Frogs ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: CKing at Wed Jul 23 15:53:56 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by CKing ]  

>>I haven't seen this paper; what journal is it in?
>>
>>The North American hylids are, I think, very similar to the lampropeltiins in their taxonomic issues; the generalized groups which closely resemble their extralimital relatives are the ancestors of the specialized New World taxa, and so paraphyletic taxonomy is common.>>

Immunological data shows that there was an adaptive radiation early in the history of the N. American hylids. The immunological data supported an unresolved polytomy between Hyla arborea and the N. American hylids. Hyla is of course paraphyletic since Pseudacris is nested within Hyla.

>>Of course none of this is relevant to the OP's question. I think I'll start a general taxonomy/nomenclature discussion thread in the scientific research forum.>>

The OP mentioned Hyla cinerea and how the area in which he lived may be subject to cold weather. That got me thinking about the definition of Pseudacris as "cold weather breeding" frogs, and how that definition is absurd since some of the species of Pseudacris have similar distributions as Hyla cinerea.

The absurdity does not end there because Moriarty and Cannatella subdivided Pseudacris into several "clades" which they named "fat frogs", "trilling frogs" and "crucifer clade." Hence there is nothing sacred about the definition of "cold weather breeding." In fact, just about any criterion can be used to artificially delimit so-called "clades" using probably faulty mtDNA data. Although the OP's question was not taxonomic in nature, but it is nevertheless somewhat useful to bring up the absurdities that are behind some of the current taxonomic proposals because we see so many of these absurdities in the past few years.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: H. cinera question - batrachos, Wed Jul 23 17:38:45 2008

<< Previous Message:  RE: H. cinera question - batrachos, Wed Jul 23 08:51:04 2008