return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Panacur

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horned Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: fireside3 at Wed Jul 30 02:59:49 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by fireside3 ]  

I have never had any such adverse issues in 4 years, nor heard such feedback from anyone who followed my advice, which indicated a lack of appetite or gastric illness subsequent to Panacur treatment.

Panacur is not an antibiotic and veterinary studies have shown it to have "no significant antibacterial activity", therefore it would not adversely affect gut flora based on literature I have seen. It's method of action is not similar to most bacterostatic antibiotics, which usually inhibit DNA replication.

Fenbendazole is widely known as one of the safest antiparasitics on the market, and is used all the time for a wide variety of animals. Clinical tests on most animals reveal that the LD50 can be as high as 10-400 times the recommended label dose, and often require dosing in this amount repeatedly over the course of several days to cause significant harm. A study in cats published by the American Journal of Veterinary Research indicated that even cats dosed at 5 times the recommended dose for 3 times the duration, resulted in no ill effects. Cats, it should be noted, are often highly sensitive to medications that are considered safe for other animals, and many medicines that are perfectly safe in dogs or people, are fatal in cats.

I have seen no evidence of adverse effect on gut flora in reptiles. To the contrary, my female solare which did not want to eat, move, or burrow most of last week, began head bobbing and regained her appetite and ate approx. 200 Pogos just 2 days after treatment with Panacur. There are many people who use Panacur in reptiles. One only need browse Melissa Kaplan's anapsid.org site to find reference to it, and much of her content is based on veterinary journal sources and used directly on the Veterinary Information Network as well.

-----
www.groups.yahoo.com/group/HornedLizards
www.youtube.com/user/PhrynosomaTexas
Wichita Falls Reptile Rescue
Harvester Ants

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: New To Horned Lizards - Cable_Hogue, Tue Jul 29 19:49:12 2008