return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

MT Press: Fair with 'Rattlesnake Dave'

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Crotalidae ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: W von Papineäu at Wed Jul 23 08:13:28 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by W von Papineäu ]  

GREAT FALLS TRIBUNE (Montana) 17 July 08 Great Northern Fair complete with rides, greasy food, 'Rattlesnake' Dave (Andi Murphy)
Havre: Something new slithered its way to Havre from western Texas just for the Great Northern Fair this weekend.
The fair, which started Wednesday and ends Sunday, is complete with carnival rides, greasy food and animals.
On Wednesday, 4-H members rode their ponies on fairgrounds as teenagers crammed into the Tilt-a-Whirl, Kamikaze and Zipper. In the grass, ventriloquist Joe Gandelman taught children some secrets of his talent and had an argument with his dragon friend who thought he was an elephant.
A slithering newcomer was also a hit.
This is the first year the Great Northern Fair has featured the "West Texas Rattlesnake Show," fair manager Tim Solomon said.
"I thought it was something of interest," he said, adding the show was highly recommended.
Like a lot of people, Solomon is curious about potentially deadly reptiles such as the western diamondback rattlesnake.
"I think that's cool because I've never seen a Texas rattlesnake before," said James Morris, 24, of Havre.
Morris planned to see the show at 4 p.m. Wednesday. Some children, who sat under the hot sun sipping drinks from the concession stands, also planned to catch the act. Later, "Rattlesnake" Dave Richardson answered their questions about snakes from behind a protective plastic wall.
"I try to treat them (snakes) good and healthy," Richardson said. "I've run pet stores out of mice before."
Richardson travels all over the country with his snakes, doing shows at fairs. Most recently, he was at the Cheeko Fair in California and a fair in Rock Springs, Wyo.
Richardson has showed off his snakes for 16 years, educating the public about them along the way, he said. His shows start with an educational introduction that includes where the snakes are from, what they eat, how dangerous they are and how many different species live in the Americas. Then he moves onto exhibiting smaller rattlers that are about 2-feet long, until finally bringing out the bigger ones, which are about 3 feet in length.
Since rattlesnakes can't do tricks, but instead choose to slither around and look dangerous, Richardson puts on most of the show.
He has jokes lined up to keep everyone entertained and he sticks his head in a barrel full of rattlesnakes so the audience can more clearly hear the rattles through his microphone head set.
"Some people think a man who puts his head in a barrel full of rattlesnakes is nuts," Richardson said.
He is quick to point out, however, that he knows the hazards and techniques to prevent himself from being bitten. The rattlers can't strike upward and they would have trouble getting through his Crocodile Dundee-style hat anyway, he said. He even has a special pair of chaps to prevent snake bites.
"I have never been bitten once," Richardson said, adding that even with all his knowledge and experience, he is actually a little afraid of snakes.
"I never really liked snakes," he said.
To him, handling these dangerous reptiles is just a good-paying and adventurous job, he said.
"I had a helper once," Richardson said. "But he went and found himself a real job."
Richardson will have shows today at 4, 6 and 8 p.m. Saturday's and Sunday's shows are at 2, 4 and 6 p.m.
Great Northern Fair complete with rides, greasy food, 'Rattlesnake' Dave

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]