return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

LeafLitter substate, and other questions

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Frilled Dragons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: venomprx at Thu Jul 24 13:53:27 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by venomprx ]  

in a couple of years i would love to own a frilled lizard, however i currently have a couple of questions regarding their care. i currently do not know much, but i have plenty of time to research. what would an ideal display enclosure size be? my father routinely designs atriums and such into buildings (architect) and i would like to create a similar effect in a new york apartment setting, on a smaller scale. as it is a display enclosure, i would like to use leaf litter as a substrate, as there are several large house trees in a loft my family owns (ceilings are high) , where its likely i will end up living for a couple years into my 20’s, and the leaves would be available free. i believe the trees are ficus, I’m not entirely sure though. is this a suitable substrate? i imagine it cant be more natural.if not, how would textured Formica work? its been recommended to me by my dad for my bearded dragon, its just i couldn’t find it in smaller than a 96x48 sheet. now, in terms of height, would 4 feet be sufficient? i was looking into this enclosure, and wondered if it would be suitable to house one adult animal?

http://www.customcages.com/index.cfm?do=detail&productid=46

in order to emulate a tree or small group of trees i was considering mounting PVC pipe as a support structure and then fitting cork bark tubes over it, is this an acceptable design? as at the time that this would be set up, i would be in Manhattan, which is much more difficult for the collection of suitable climbing branches, although i suppose a student on the subway carrying five or six massive tree limbs would be lost in the usual level of unusual subway existence, but i digress. lastly, i tend to err on the side of whole meals for the animals that can eat them, whats the recommended portion of their diet that frozen/thawed mice would compromise? I’m fine with insects, i have large amounts of supers on hand for Rex, its just i feel they don’t offer the same nutrition that a small fuzzy or hopper would, my question pertains to if they can eat, and how much, mostly due to the bearded dragon world the feeding of mice is frowned upon, and I’m just checking if same rules apply.
thanks for your time and help, even though none of this will likely take place soon.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: LeafLitter substate, and other questions - breaker, Sat Aug 2 19:58:36 2008