return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Caring for a Tree Frog Tadpole

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Tree Frogs ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: CKing at Sun Aug 3 11:45:47 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by CKing ]  

>>Thanks for the advice. Clyde sprouted his front legs yesterday - there were 2 bumps in the morning and two cute little legs in the afternoon.
>>
>>I lowered his water a little, to make sure he has plenty of rocks to access if he wants to climb out of the water. The most I've seen him do is cling to the plant, but that is under water.
>>
>>Yeah, fruit flies are easy to cultivate -- every time my husband leaves a slice of orange or grapefruit out I get them and it takes me weeks to get rid of them. I guess I have a place for them to go!
>>
>>Now that he has both legs, I guess I'm watching for the tail to absorb? When should I really drop the water level (it is swimmable now - about 1 1/2" deep)? Should I start cultivating the fruit flies for him now?
>>
>>About returning him to his world, since he was found in the 'kiddie' pool in my yard, should he be let go in the woods next to my house?
>>
>>Sorry for all the questions, but I really appreciate all the help - as does Clyde. He really is adorable. His body is turning a dark green with a light underbelly. I'm pretty sure batrachos is right and he is turning into a Gray Tree Frog.
>>
>>Thanks again,
>>Frognut

If it is a treefrog tadpole, it will be able to climb onto the vertical sides of the aquarium. You will need to keep a tight lid on the aquarium. There is no need to lower the water level. You can also put him in a jar with a rock and a tight lid once he stops eating. Now is a good time to cultivate the fruit flies as it takes time for the maggots to turn into adult flies. Releasing him in the woods is a good idea. Give him a head start by giving him some food before letting him go. It will probably stay there and get fat on insects before dispersing further.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Caring for a Tree Frog Tadpole - Frognut, Mon Aug 4 21:18:54 2008 image in post

<< Previous Message:  RE: Caring for a Tree Frog Tadpole - Frognut, Sun Aug 3 08:57:41 2008