return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Hypo-Melonistic Coachwhips???

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Racers & Coachwhips ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: chris_harper2 at Wed Aug 13 11:20:44 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by chris_harper2 ]  

Kevin,

You and I seem to have similar tastes in Coachwhips, although I have to say that the Easterns with black heads and tan/grey bodies are pretty sharp. Pretty sure this is what Nate is calling the Bicolor. I'm not completely sure where this phenotype is found although I know at least part of their range is in Florida. I had one small specimen that I donated to a zoo looking for one. Never did find out where it was collected and never kept them again.

My favorites over the years were the true Red Westerns (only had two females). I think if more people could see these as adults in person they would be very popular.

I also had a true M. f. piceus but liked the red westerns better.

I've also seen some very pretty eastern coachwhips out of texas ranging from a reddish color to mostly black with some tan towards the end. Very pretty.

Okay you've lost me here. I had one snake that fit this description. I purchased it from Glades as a Western and was told it came from east Texas. Are you saying these are Easterns?

My personal favorite for an eastern coachwhip are the ones that come out of southern missouri and arkansas. Most of them are almost all black, with a smattering of red right at the end of the tail. Just gorgeous.

I have never seen one of these in person much less kept one, but from the few pictures I have seen I have to say that could easily become my favorites.

One other coachwhip I really like is a type of western that develops a very wide banding pattern, alternating rusty brown and light tan. I had two of these (both males, of course) that were said to come from Oklahoma. Years later I met a herper from Oklahoma and he had several pictures taken in the field that matched what I had kept.
-----
Currently keeping:

6.10 Gonyosoma oxycephala (Javan, mixed colors)

1.1 Philodryas baroni

1.0 Rhodesian Ridgeback

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Hypo-Melonistic Coachwhips??? - KevColubrid, Tue Aug 12 22:22:06 2008