return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Odd senario feeding my Dum Any advice?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Dumerils Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: zorpasg at Sun Aug 24 15:46:28 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by zorpasg ]  

If you think you're scenario is odd, here's my story. I bought a young Dum from a friend of mine who sells snakes. He had trouble eating at first, but after my trying a million different things, he eventually ate. He was then feeding on a regular basis, about once every 7-10 days. Last October (that's 2007) he stopped eating. I also have a Royal python who coincidentally stopped eating at the same time. I took this as the regular winter non-feeding period. I did keep trying every couple of weeks to feed them but none of them did. I did not worry as this happened to me and my friend with other snakes as well, and I know enough to know that this is normal behavior. Of course I kept track of their size and weight and everything was OK.

In March of this year, as expected, my Royal started eating again. But unfortunately, my Dum did not. This went on for a few more weeks and I started noticing my Dum was getting thinner and lighter. Again I tried everything I knew to try and make him eat, but nothing seemed to work. He only striked in defense, would bite the rat and would let go immediately.

I was hesitant to force feed; that would be my ultimate last resort. After speaking with my friend, he said that there is one more thing we could try before force feeding; this is a method that he swore by. He told me to give him Flagyl which is an antiprotozoal drug administered orally. I gave him the recommended dosage over a period of 6 days and then left him alone for 10 days. On July 22 2008 (yes, you are reading the date correct, 9 months without food!!!! ), I gave him a small rat and he attacked and ate it like there's no tomorrow. Ever since, he eats his meal every week without any hesitations.

Needless to say that now I also swear by Flagyl.

I just wish I won't have to go through the same again next year.
-----
1.0.0 Dumerils Boa
1.0.0 Royal Python

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Odd senario feeding my Dum Any advice? - CHPitt, Sun Aug 31 23:15:57 2008

<< Previous Message:  Odd senario feeding my Dum Any advice? - lostsorrow, Sat Aug 23 10:07:36 2008 image in post