return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

My Western Fence Lizards Hatched

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Spiny/Fence Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: pyromaniac at Sun Aug 24 20:03:02 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by pyromaniac ]  

Sky the mama being gravid with this clutch. She laid this clutch July 3, 08. 8 eggs, six hatched August 23 and 24, 08.

Indigo the papa.

Hatchling getting pinhead crickets.

Hardening off sphagnum moss container inside of permanent home container. They spend a week in this moist sphagnum moss so they don't desiccate, and can find the pinheads easily. As soon as they hatch in the incubation tub I gently move them into this sphagnum moss tub, as they want light and warmth, and are ready to commence eating within hours of birth. The red jar lid contains food and a carrot for the pinheads, and egg crate shelter, so they are easy to find and will survive until eaten.
The eggs were incubated in vermiculite at 80.5 degrees Fahrenheit for 51 to 52 days. I threw away the two duds about two weeks into the incubation. The good eggs plumped up with a pink tint but the duds stayed small and yellow.
The mama was provided a quart sized glad tub filled with moist sand and covered with a piece of cardboard for privacy, in her enclosure. When she laid her clutch I transferred them to the sterile moist vermiculite, being careful to do everything as sanitary as possible so as to successfully avoid mold contamination. I took great care to not shift the orientation of the eggs. I put the probe to the thermostat and the probe to the indoor outdoor thermometer in the incubation tub, with a couple of small holes for aeration, and put this affair into a big Styrofoam fish shipping box with a seed germination mat, a small rack to lift the tub off the mat, and an insulated shipping envelope for the tub to sit on, like a baffle.
August 9th Sky laid a second clutch of 10 eggs all of which look viable. I am doing the same thing with this clutch.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: My Western Fence Lizards Hatched - pyromaniac, Mon Aug 25 10:44:50 2008