return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Please help ID this tadpole & froglet

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Frogs ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Worldwalker at Wed Sep 3 21:34:59 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Worldwalker ]  

About two months ago, I found a small clump of very tiny frog eggs in a garden center's disused (and about to be drained) former outdoor display area for water plants. I brought them home, they duly hatched out, and five tadpoles remain. One (which was actually a tadpole when I collected the eggs) is well on his way through metamorphosis; two have small hind legs; and two are lagging way behind.

I can't figure out what these things are. I was assuming spring peepers originally, from the size of the clump, the eggs themselves, and the tadpoles. However, as of this morning, the tad who sprouted his front legs yesterday was showing a greenish tinge, and by late afternoon, he was lime green, with a dark mask.

The tadpoles started out dark, have gotten increasingly lighter as they grew, and right at the very end of the development (after the hind legs appeared) developed dark patterning on their tails. Before the increasing green covered it, the near-froglet had darker splotches on his hind legs as well.

The eggs were collected in Amherst, NH.

The little fellow with the legs looks like some kind of treefrog to me, but he's definitely not a peeper (being lime green rules that out, not to mention his head isn't nearly pointy enough), and the grey treefrog has a distinctive red patch on the tadpole's tail, which there has been no trace of in these tads. That pretty much runs me out of treefrogs that live in this area.

Here are some pictures of the tadpoles (click for larger images). For reference, the little plastic boxes I put them in so they'd hold still for their portraits are 1" x 2". I increased the image brightness slightly to compensate for the inadequate lighting conditions I photographed them under.

First, a large tadpole just starting metamorphosis:

These two are the little green dude, top and side views:

And finally, both tadpoles together for comparison:

Note: They started out almost identical in size.

So, anyone have a clue what I've got here? I'd say Hyla versicolor except for the absence of the supposedly diagnostic red markings on the tail. I'm out of guesses.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Please help ID this tadpole & froglet - Worldwalker, Wed Sep 3 21:39:41 2008