return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: American Bullfrog Question

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Frogs ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: CKing at Mon Sep 8 05:00:14 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by CKing ]  

>>I have a new froglet who is absorbing is tail. I've read on a site that I can't seem to find anymore that Bullfrogs can be trained to eat dog or cat kibble. The closest thing i've found is this site: http://www.fao.org/fishery/culturedspecies/Rana_catesbeiana>>

Frogs and toads in general are carnivores; they eat meat. Dogs are carnivores too. Frogs and toads hunt by sight. Anything that moves will attract their attention, and they will try to eat it if it is smaller than they are. Frogs and toads also taste their food. So, they may reject potential food items that do not taste good. There are exceptions of course. Marine toads or cane toads are known to eat dog food, apparently by detecting the smell, even though dog food does not move. If you want to feed a frog non-living things, then the best thing to do is to use meat. Use a pair of forceps to move the meat around slowly and the frog will snap at it. Move it too quickly and you may scare the frog. Another way to get them to eat meat is to use a stainless steel wire (don't use galvanized or copper wires as they are toxic) and poke it through a small piece of meat. Then move the wire around slowly in front of the frog. Sometimes touching the snout of the frog with the moving meat will get it to feed. Growing frogs need calcium but meat does not have any. So, you can either include a piece of bone or dust the meat with calcium powder. Do not feed raw pork to frogs or other amphibians. Feed them only raw beef, chicken, fish or beef liver.

>>On that site they say they feed them protein pellets. What I want to know is what is the best way to go about getting the frog eating kibble?>>

You may be able to get your frog to eat dry dog food or cat food by moving it around slowly but dry dog or cat food is harder because it will be difficult to dangle it with a piece of wire. Canned dog or cat food may work if it is chunky. In any case do not forget the calcium supplement even if you feed them insects and other live food. Growing frogs need calcium, not just protein.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: American Bullfrog Question - BIGHYDRO, Mon Sep 8 10:00:52 2008

<< Previous Message:  American Bullfrog Question - spe, Thu Sep 4 16:32:12 2008