return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Uromastyx NEEDS HELP

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Uromastyx ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: kich4theanswer at Sat Sep 6 18:47:12 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by kich4theanswer ]  

First and foremost I would highly suggest that you treat your animal for parasites. The caving in symptoms at the base of the tail only leads me to believe that you are working with a heavily infected animal. I strongly recommend taking a fecal sample to qualified veterinarian to find out what type of parasites you are working with. But I can take a fair guess that your animal is infected with nematodes, flagellates, or pinworms, or all three. Each of which has a direct life cycle and without a compulsive attitude towards cage cleanliness will continue to reinfect your animal.

I had the same symptoms with one of my ornates, but after many weeks of working hard with a compulsive attitude towards cage cleanliness and with proper treatment, my uro had gained full weight back and the caving in disappeared. The drug that my veterinarian prescribed me was Panacur, which is an extremely safe drug to use. The only concern is that if used too much and too often, reports are beginning to show that these drugs for parasites are wiping out these small lizard’s livers.

Parasites and bacterial infections are among the top three killers in captive reptiles. I believe that your uromastyx has both. To address your uro's swollen foot issue, all I can suggest is to take it for an examination to a qualified reptilian vet. Hopefully your vet will find out what parasites you’re working with, and then diagnose the issue. It’s going to take a lot of patience and time into getting your uro healthy again.

Please keep us updated on the issue and make sure you get to a vet as soon as possible. My suggestion for now would be to get your uro into a smaller quarantine cage with a paper towel substrate. Use simple low to the ground hide spots (I used the flat pieces of terra cota and then used a hammer to make cut away a entrance under the terra cota. Use regular soap to clean all cage hide spots EVERY time your uro defecates, as well as replace the paper towels. The cage must be cleaned as well. You must think as though everything is contaminated when dealing with parasites with a direct life cycle. Even your uros tail may have fecal smears on it. Using dawn dish washing detergent with water on a paper towel, you can gently scrub away the poop off of the tail base.

Best of luck,

-Paul

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  sorry if I didn't clarify... - kich4theanswer, Sat Sep 6 18:58:02 2008

<< Previous Message:  Uromastyx NEEDS HELP - metalmistress3, Fri Sep 5 23:09:39 2008 image in post