return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: I finally uploaded some new pictures!!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Dumerils Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: amarilrose at Wed Sep 17 23:05:26 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by amarilrose ]  

Thank you! I am terribly prejudiced, but I think the world of my one and only Dum! I have been toying with the idea of getting him a couple of lady friends, but I am picky: I would want to try to find females that match his colors - and either way, I don't have the space or my husband's patience for any more snakes for a while.

I actually did 2 presentations this year - my first ever - and I'm pretty sure the first one went a lot better than the Cub Scout Day Camp; I just didn't have a photographer for the first presentation! I'm a student at the University of Illinois, majoring in Animal Science, and the Animal Science Department had an outreach event in the Spring they called "Petstravaganza" (I REALLY hate the name of it, but it is a nice event); 2008 was actually the 3rd annual occurrence, (and I have been a student for all 3 of those years, but this was the first time I knew of the event to participate in it - they don't advertize it very well, but they still get about 2,000 people to attend each year from the community). I presented my Dum and 2 of my BP's there, and had a blast! It is a fairly large event, and almost all of the other people presenting there were convinced I was the #1 hit with my snakes. I never got to sit down or eat all day long! The nice thing about Petstravaganza though, was that the entire event was geared towards teaching children and their parents about meeting a pet animal's needs, and how to be a responsible pet owner. The key I think, is that people went there in the mindset that they were going to learn something new.

I learned a little too late that the Cub Scout Day Camp was a slightly different audience. I also learned some very important lessons from the kids in the Cub Scout Day Camp, and from how the presentation went:

They had had a long & busy day, and they were hot, tired, and hungry... I was a time-filler while they waited for their parents to pick them up (something that had NOT been mentioned to me in all the correspondence leading up to this event). They were very excited, but I think I was asked if my Dum or my BP were poisonous about 15 times over the course of the hour-or-so-long presentation (that's just one example; there were many questions that were asked repetitively) - I didn't really have their attention. I also went in to this presentation kind of intentionally "winging it;" it worked so well the first time, since I am a hard-core animal science geek and can typically talk about a lot of neat little factoids that one decent question could bring up... but I really didn't understand my audience so well for the Cub Scout Day Camp; their questions weren't the stuff of which an hour is easily filled.

-I should have asked more about my role in the day camp there (I never expected to be a generic time filler).
-I should have prepared a SHORT presentation, and figured out some kind of activity to keep the boys' minds engaged.
-I'm glad I didn't let them touch my animals (though I do wish it would have been possible); they were unruly enough we would have been MOBBED if I had tried!
-I wish I could have found someone I knew to come take pictures of the presentation; a nice lady with the day camp took pictures of me with my camera... but I look awful in most of them, because most were taken while I was speaking

All told, I am still really excited that I finally got started doing some of these presentations, which is something I have been wanting to get involved in for many years! Oh, and of all the insane good luck scenarios, my Dum actually shed his skin no more than 2 days in advance of each presentation. How crazy is that?

~Rebecca

-----
1.0.0 Dumeril's Boa '04
1.2.1 Ball Pythons

0.2 American Pit Bull Terriers (40lb darling lap dogs:Brandy&Mara)

...and MANY more years' experience in colubrids

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: I finally uploaded some new pictures!! - pathigdon, Wed Sep 17 20:07:48 2008