return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: shared housing

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Water Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Trolligans at Mon Sep 22 09:12:36 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Trolligans ]  

Any time you house 2 snakes together you need to watch them for the first week to see if they are acting aggressively toward each other.

If they are roughly the same size, put them together and see if they get along. Mine actually calmed down when they were together (which I was grateful for because they liked to chew on me).

You'll likely find them coiled into one big ball most of the time. Watersnakes seem to like the company of other watersnakes (and even moccasines).

For feeding, ALWAYS separate the snakes or feed them while you have the cage open. Do NOT leave food in the cage. I've heard of two cornsnakes that both tried to eat one pinky rat. One snake started eating one end, then the other snake bit onto the other end. The result: on snake ate the rat and most of the second cornsake. Both snakes died.

If you feed them in the same cage, watch them for several minutes after they have finished eating to be sure that neither snake has a feeding response on his roommate.

Also, increase the size of your enclosure.

Another thing, watch them carefully. If one snake gets sick, it can quickly spread to every snake in the enclosure. I had 4 broadbanded watersnakes (1 hypo, 3 normal). One got sick and I immediately quarantined them all. Within 2 weeks, the three normals were dead. The hypo was the only one that never got sick.

A good source for more watersnake info would be Scott Felzer. You can find him in the garter snake forum.

Good luck.
-----
1.0.0 Great Plains Ratsnake
1.0.0 Corn, Lavender Aztec het for Amel
0.1.0 Black Ratsnake
0.0.1 Texas Rat (tame)
1.0.0 Broad Banded Water Snake, Hypo
1.0.0 Black Bassador Retriever
2.1.0 Godchildren, 1 Evil, 2 possible hets

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: shared housing - banjobert, Mon Sep 22 16:11:10 2008

<< Previous Message:  shared housing - banjobert, Sun Sep 21 20:09:28 2008