return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: The HL Burp

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Horned Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: fireside3 at Sun Sep 28 13:47:48 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by fireside3 ]  

You say "breeder", but I doubt very seriously this is a HL breeder. These people peddling HLs at reptile shows and such are selling wild caught. They are never a part of the discussions here, or on any other horned lizard forum...because they are not breeders, and we all know it - just peddlers. Breeders are pretty well known, because there aren't that many, and I have yet to meet one person who knows what they are doing with HLs, that actually sells them at a show. Not one. Of course they will tell you it is captive bred anytime they get the chance to fool someone. I bet they were selling them for about $25-$40? Probably also feeding them crickets.

Also, any "breeder" would have more investment and respect for their animals than to just give them away in poor condition to someone with presumably less experience with them. These lizards are strip mined from the wild in Nevada and sold at shows and stores back east and Europe...probably because selling them here in the west would lead to too much public outcry about it, and any pet store selling them out here would get bad press right away.

The fact that this so-called "breeder" had brought 4 of them in this poor shape to whatever place you met him at, should tell you something. He didn't know what he was doing with them, obviously, and could not even keep his own animals in decent shape? That should tell you something.

The one on top of this rock is in very poor shape. I would suggest you check out my links for care information and what it's going to take to rehabilitate this one. I don't give good odds for her. In fact, when people email me about their HL being in this shape, I have them ship it to me for rehab. That's how bad it is. Maybe 2 weeks or so to live if this isn't turned around fast.

-----
www.groups.yahoo.com/group/HornedLizards
www.youtube.com/user/PhrynosomaTexas
Wichita Falls Reptile Rescue
Harvester Ants

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  today on the oil lease....west texas.. - Herptophile, Mon Sep 29 13:07:07 2008
<< Previous topic:  HL feeder - Jeff Judd, Mon Sep 22 08:49:30 2008