return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: How do I care for my hatchling snapper?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Snapping Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: futureboabreeder at Sun May 10 03:47:44 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by futureboabreeder ]  

20 gallon will do fine, keep the water only about 4 inches high. A basking light and something to crawl out of the water onto. I also throw in these really thin plastic see weed plants just to give the little guys something to get up to and hang on as they don't tread water to well and are pretty clumsy swimmers when they are young. This isn't necissary if you got a stone in there for him to climb up on, but it seems to aid them in getting around the tank.

Guppies, crickets are good sources of food. Gonna need a filter for the guppies, but if he is still in the process of mastering his mobility in the water he might have trouble catching them all the time. Thats why I'd keep a few dozen crickets handy in a tub with potatoes to eat. That way you can toss a few in there and make sure hes eating every day.

He'll grow fast and turn into eating machine within a month or two. They'll eat just about everything. At that point if you find some small frogs, like the little dry land frogs I find hopping around or under logs he'll love those(they LOVE frogs). No toads, the poison glands will bother him and release toxins into his water. Don't bother with earthworms, I learned the hard way how easy it is for a turtle to choke on them. If the frog thing makes your stomache queezy thats fine he'll live without them. I always feed em frogs because #1: I eventually let them go once they're about the size of my hand and eating frogs early on teaches them how to really hunt. I guess thats the fun of
wild snappers, you could go outside for a cigarette and come back in with his dinner.

great turtles to keep, I usually fatten em up and set em free in this mud creek near my house that has a pretty nice little snapper community for such a small creek. Or sometimes I'll raise em up big enough and let them go in this forest preserve lake that sometimes season to season gets cleaned out of baby snappers because of too many big birds eating them.(I got turtle hunting there a few times a week).

But if you plan on keeping him long, plan on him getting BIG... which also means lots of poo.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Alligator snapping turtle QUESTIONare - whomikebrown, Thu Oct 23 13:26:05 2008
<< Previous topic:  Alligator Snappers...legal to own in WA? - NeoDB, Sun Sep 28 19:03:25 2008