return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: New senegal...new to chams all together

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Chameleons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Carlton at Thu Oct 9 14:06:18 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Carlton ]  

Neither the ReptiGlo or the heat lamp provide enough UVB, so you'll need to get a proven source. Again, the ReptiSun 5.0 is a safe reliable one many of us use. Many so-called "full spectrum" incandescent lamps claim they produce UVB but independent testing shows otherwise. When you get one, you won't need one or the other of those basking bulbs so just remove it. Get the thermometer...don't guess. The temp at the cham's skin gets burned through cumulative exposure (temp rises over the amount of time he is sitting under it) and burns can happen at lower temps than we realize. Ironically, basking herps don't have many heat sensors in their skin and don't always move out of the radiation before they burn. Actually, the most useful accurate thermometer out there is one of the little Pro Exotics Temp guns. They are inexpensive, aren't biased by air conditions, totally portable, and you can measure the precise surface temp of any animal whenever you need to. $25 is well worth it. I use them for all my herps now. Once I get a setup's heat source regulated I can spot check any part of them or the animal without disturbing them.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: New senegal...new to chams all together - riiotgrrl, Thu Oct 9 19:00:19 2008

<< Previous Message:  RE: New senegal...new to chams all together - riiotgrrl, Wed Oct 8 18:24:07 2008