return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Egg binding question

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Chameleons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: kinyonga at Thu Oct 9 23:51:24 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by kinyonga ]  

You said..."I have heard of horror stories of female chams becomming egg bound without ever comming in contact with males. I know that all female reptiles are apt to form eggs without breeding, my iguana did it years ago, then she reabsorbed them. I have heard that chams (especially veileds) are notorious for this and for this reason females have exceptionally short life spans. Is this a myth or is there some truth to this?"...not all lizards/chameleons will produce eggs without being mated. The veileds can. I have never heard of a Senegal doing it. If you control the feeding and to some degree the temperature, a veiled female will not produce eggs. The feeding also seems to play a part in clutch size. I have had veiled females live for over 7 years without ever producing an egg. I have had others that I have increased the feeding and temperatures slightly and mated them and they produce fertile eggs. I have raised some of those babies and continued the lines too.

You don't want to control the diet completely until the female is almost full grown...after all you want her to get to be adult size.

You said..."I'm not sure what my Senegal is (I just got him/her) and i am just concerned"...if you post a picture from the side showing the whole chameleon including the tail base I may be able to tell you its sex.

Do you know about supplements? The relationship between D3, calcium. phosphorous and vitamin A? Gutloading?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• Egg binding question - riiotgrrl, Wed Oct 8 20:37:54 2008
    • You Are HereRE: Egg binding question - kinyonga, Thu Oct 9 23:51:24 2008

>> Next topic:  Shipping Chameleons?? - mrgsdsjg, Fri Oct 10 18:49:11 2008
<< Previous topic:  New senegal...new to chams all together - riiotgrrl, Wed Oct 8 11:54:22 2008