return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Baby GTP Dead?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Green Tree Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: illbeyoursoldier at Thu Oct 9 18:56:11 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by illbeyoursoldier ]  

I purchased a baby Biak x Sorong GTP at this year's Daytona Expo at the end of August. I am not new to snakes, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't new to Arboreal Snakes (my first was an Northern ETB from earlier this year, and she is thriving). My little python was an awesome, charismatic little guy, and I almost cried when we opened his bin on Sunday night to find him dead (October 5th).

The gentleman who sold him to me said he was established, and had eaten a few times, but not many. He was beautiful, mentally bright, and active. We brought him home from Daytona, and later in the week with a lot of convincing he ate a live pinky mouse, the 29th of August.

Since than he never ate. I have a zillion tricks up my sleeve of getting newborns to eat -- I've gotten countless newborn ball pythons to eat and my ETB was the hardest of all, but no dice with this little guy.

I feel awful because yes I was concerned, but I didn't realize it was life or death. He seemed fine the night before (since we were regularly checking on him); he was not acting lethargic or weak, and had not lost any gram weight. Now I feel like I should have done more, tracked down impossible-to-find ASF pinkies, something, anything.

I don't blame the breeder on this, but I do feel fooled because maybe I should have known better that he wasn't an established animal -- I wouldn't have known what to look for, my experience is in thicker-bodied Boids... Or maybe he WAS an established animal, and the 5 weeks were just to long for him to go without food?

I'm sorry.. I'm just so upset because I have never lost an animal to starvation before, and its been a hard week because a couple days before that I found out one of my Burms has a heart disease and is basically destined to die. Completely off-topic, I know, sorry.

Experienced Chondro Keepers out there, what would you recommend to a new GTP keeper on how to convince a hatchling to eat? Or should he have not died so quickly without a meal and could there have been something underlying? (I feel like he died exceptionally quick, but than again I am biased/partial to the situation, and feel like I was smacked in the face with it all).

Any imput on anything would be appreciated

I should probably add...
He was living in here...

Humidity always up at the higher end of the spectrum, usually around 80%. Back heat with a temp gradient of about 79 degrees to 92 degrees.

This is him a few days before he died >>>

-----
Cheers!
• Chelsea Lynn Gardiner
(and Frank M. Wood)

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Baby GTP Dead? - Julian Garcia, Fri Oct 10 14:39:27 2008
>> Next Message:  RE: Baby GTP Dead? - mikehufner, Tue Oct 14 13:13:19 2008