return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Looking to get a Tegu

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Tegus ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: laurarfl at Tue Oct 28 07:31:33 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by laurarfl ]  

Welcome to the tegu forum and kudos to you for doing your homework first.

1. What are some of the best species for beginners?
Argentine Black and White and Reds would be best for beginners. Colombinas are great, too, but require more patience and time for handling.

2. Do they require any special lighting like Bearded Dragons and such like this?
Yes, they are dependent on UV for proper calcium metabolism, especially when young and experiencing rapid growth. They also require heat for basking. They are active and need more space than a beardie in proportion to their body size.

3. What are some of their favorite foods, and how often they need to be fed?
Young tegus under 18-24 months should be fed daily, as much as they will eat (which can be quite a lot). Adult tegus can be fed every other day so as not to encourage obesity. I gauge the look of my tegus (I have 4) to determine frequency of feeding to maintain an ideal weight. I let them eat their fill at each meal.

They are omnivores and opportunistic feeders, so they eat just about anything! Whole foods are best so that they get a natural source of vitamins and minerals. I feed mine fruit and meat at each meal, about 1/3 fruit and 2/3 meat. Some days they eat more meat, some days more fruit. I rotate their choices, but they get rodents, quail chicks, small fish, organ meats, chicken, insects, watermelon, sweet potato, cherries, grapes, apples, pears, papaya, banana, peaches, mangoes, grape tomatoes...basically whatever is on hand.

4. Can they be trained to be able to sleep on a nice mat with newspaper and with a heat pad and then be able to go to be potty trianed?
Hmmm...probably. If you set up a nice basking spot, they may hang out there, but they usually sleep in burrows or hides. I have a Colombian tegu that prefers to poo on paper outside of her enclosure. But I think she has us trained, LOL.

5. Would you suggest a male or female?
Either. I don't think there's much difference there. The males get bigger, but I like the sleek head of the females. It's just personal preference.

This is a bit of a slow forum since there are two huge tegu websites out there. I have to run, so I don't have time to dig for pics. I did want to answer your questions, though!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Looking to get a Tegu - povmichael123, Tue Oct 28 14:36:35 2008

<< Previous Message:  Looking to get a Tegu - povmichael123, Sun Oct 26 17:30:12 2008