return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Another litter of green anacondas…..

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Anacondas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Kelly_Haller at Fri Nov 7 00:42:00 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Kelly_Haller ]  

The largest female produced another litter of young early yesterday morning. This is the third litter for this particular female since 2003. It was also the first breeding for the young male that I used which I had raised from a previous unrelated litter that Jud and I produced in 2001 using a different captive born female and his large captive born male. This litter and the one Jud produced a couple of weeks ago are both third generation captive born greens and pretty much unrelated.

I am typically able to easily check on her two or three times per day with no problem. But yesterday I wasn’t able to check on her until late that evening. Unfortunately, it had been almost 24 hours since I had last checked in on her, and from the looks of the unit, it appeared that they had probably been born 15 to 20 hours earlier. There were 9 slugs, 16 live young, and 4 dead young that appeared to have been crushed by the female as she moved about the unit. The female was laying on another of them when I came in the room and I quickly removed them all from the unit. All the dead were of normal length and weight, no visible abnormalities, and appeared to have been born healthy and alive. There were probably a few more slugs, but I could tell that she had eaten some, so I don’t have a full count on them. The young are between 750 and 800 mm (29 to 31 inches) and are between 240 and 260 grams. They are all quite calm and none struck as they were pulled from the mothers unit. While it is very unfortunate that the four were killed, I am still quite pleased with the outcome of the birth. As rare as it is to successfully reproduce green anacondas in captivity, I am always happy to see any number of live young. Below are a few photos showing the neonates and the four that didn’t make it along with a few of the slugs. Thanks again for looking.

Kelly

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  BIG CONGRATS.........AGAIN!!! - mjf, Fri Nov 7 02:02:23 2008
>> Next Message:  Congratulations Kelly on another success - sprovstgaard, Fri Nov 7 09:48:33 2008
>> Next Message:  Congratulations!!! - HappyHillbilly, Fri Nov 7 13:26:42 2008
>> Next Message:  RE: Another litter of green anacondas….. - flboy21283, Fri Nov 7 20:46:52 2008
>> Next Message:  RE: Another litter of green anacondas….. - rottenweiler9, Sat Nov 8 22:15:50 2008