return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Entamoeba Invadens--Star Tortoise--Meds

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: marcp at Sun Dec 28 10:04:28 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by marcp ]  

Sorry about a late response. How is your tortoise doing? I have had tortoises, some for 25 years, and any time I have acquired wild caught tortoises I have dewormed them with Panacur. After a few weeks or more I keep an eye on their stool and if they get the slimy, green diarrhea I would check it with a microscope and it usually contained protists. At that time I would treat with metronidazole orally and do it again 10-14 days later. It almost always cleared up the protist infection. They would usually start eating about 5-6 days after the first treatment. keeping them hydrated was important during the treatment.

I have also purchased captive bred tortoises that came in looking healthy and feeding. For reasons I am not sure of they would develop a protist infection after a month or two even though I kept them quarantined, clean, warm... all the things you need to do. I had some cb leopard tortoises that went from 90grams to 30 grams because of a protist infection. Treating orally with metronidazole worked and they gained back the weight in a month and did not have any problems again.

I suspect that even captive bred tortoises are stressed when shipped or entering a new environment. They must pick up airborne protist cysts and the stress triggers the cycle.

I did have a vet try injectable metronidazole but it did not work. It had to be oral.

I never heard of using the drug you mentioned so I hope the flagyl worked for you.

Also, if you check stool for protists it has to be fresh, almost right from the tortoise to see live protists. Any longer and they seem to die from being "out" of the tortoise. The cysts are difficult to spot so it pays to have a microscope to check fresh stool.

Marc P

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  baby turtles with fish - zgehasz, Sat Nov 22 16:58:45 2008
<< Previous topic:  3-toed hatchling question - Moedad, Wed Nov 19 16:48:08 2008