return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

Female Aggression?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Gecko Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: nile_keepr at Fri Nov 21 13:23:16 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by nile_keepr ]  

Ive got a breeding population of picta geckos and Im having abit of an issue... sort of.

I have this little female - a real beauty - that has been causing alot of headaches.

Given, I realize that territoriality is present in both male and female specimens, but Ive never witnessed aggression in the levels Im seeing in this female.

She is currently housed with a large male, and the 2 of them seem to get along just fine. Its when I attempt to introduce another female into the equation that the aggression becomes apperant - and drastically so.

I have been breeding these animals for a good 2 years now, and no other female that Ive encountered has shown much (if any) aggression towards other females. This specimen, however, seems... well, 'hateful'.

After introducing a female, on 2 seperate occasions I have witnessed this specimen searching out the introduced female and attacking it VIOLENTLY - in previous instances of aggression (from other specimens) Ive noticed a bite-and-let-go way of dealing with percieved threats.

This is not the case with this female - she bites and HOLDS, gnawing on the other animal with great force and apperant desire to kill.

The first animal I attempted to introduce her to was actually injured by her attack, and may well never recover - her forelimb was injured, which makes movement for her somewhat difficult (let alone hunting). I removed her to a seperate enclosure and have taken to hand-feeding her (something that takes no small amount of time, and has taken no small amount of trust on her part to accept), and she seems to be regaining her strength. That incident was entirely my fault, as I assumed (a bad mistake) that there would be no aggression between females and didnt notice the attack taking place until it was too late. The second instance (occuring only 2 days ago), I kept close watch and was able to save the introduced female from being drastically injured - and it was a good thing I did, as the aggro-female immediately attacked the introduced specimen.

This is confusing to me - there is no food present, both animals are well fed, the enclosure is easily large enough to house upwards of 5 of these animals.... What is causing this reaction? Territoriality seems an obvious cause, but it seems so strange to see such activity out of a normally 'relaxed' species....

Any thoughts?

Im going under the assumption at present that this female will have to watched VERY closely, and only kept with large male specimens. I dont entirely mind this, but I would like to hear any thoughts on the matter.

Thanks.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Female Aggression? - squidgyfish, Sun Dec 7 12:54:45 2008