return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Newbie-Iguana Care-Help Please

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Iguanas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FutureBoaBreeder at Fri Nov 21 15:38:57 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FutureBoaBreeder ]  

Hey guys,
First off let me say that im not even that big a fan of iguanas. When it comes to lizards, monitors are my usual choice. (own two yellow ackies)... i did own an iguana when i was very young.

I went into a pet shop today to buy rats for the boas and was checking out the reptiles, and in one tank there were 3 small iquanas and one dragon. On the tank a sign said "recouperating bearded dragon not for sale." The dragon housed with the iguanas supposedly was given to the pet shop for free because the owners didnt know how to take care of him. He was in really bad shape.

The two siblings of the one i bought also looks in less then tip top shape, one of them looking as bad as the dragon-was curled up in the corner, and didnt even bother to scurry or even so much as turn his head in any form of alertness when i picked him up.

The one i have now scurried like crazy and even when i got a hold of him starting threatening to bite me... lol-i found it pretty cute, and even though hes a pretty jumpy and untrusting little guy, hes calmed down.

I didnt know if what ever the bearded dragon had contracted could spread to the iguanas, but the way my iguanas siblings looked, i had my suspicions. It was just a bad habitat if u ask me, and even though iguanas arent exactly my bag, i felt since i have owned monitors, boas, pythons, dragons and have a bunch of cages laying around as well as i dont even know how many heat lamps, $20 to save this little dudes life wouldnt be so much a chore.

I also have a 8 foot long glass aquarium with a wooden top i built with 4 screen holes cut to hold heat lamps when he gets bigger.

Right now hes probobly a little over 12" from tip of nose to the tip of his tale. So hes still young id say. I would like opinions on temps, basking temps, humidity, diet, bedding, calcium requirments, UV(is UV really necisary? I've owned water monitors and ackie monitors with no UV and they've done great-but of course monitors/iguanas= apples/oranges.

Anyway just thought i'd post here because the kingsnake forums seem to be the most knowledgable on husbandry. I also know that these questions have been asked before and can be found in the archives, but this was an impulse buy... not because i wanted an iguana that bad- more so that i felt the conditions he was in were not adequet. And i need to get him rolling up to speed.

All help appreciated, thanks.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Iguana closing eyes - elechal23, Tue Nov 25 17:52:03 2008
<< Previous topic:  Iguana's First Birthday! - wtamuboi, Tue Nov 11 12:20:44 2008