return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE:Thanks to both of you.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Iguanas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FutureBoaBreeder at Sat Nov 22 19:29:02 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FutureBoaBreeder ]  

Appreciate the comments. Yeah hes a jumpy little guy, and even though i was but a kid when i last owned an iguana, i never remembered feeding anything but veggies-mostly greens and fruits.

Right now i got his basking spot at 96 degrees and an ambient temp of around 80 degrees, with the very coolest spots being around 76-78 degrees. Also built a wood top to replace the screen the glass tank came with to keep humidity in. Cut out a square shaped screen area of ventalation, and got two heat lamps(one for basking, and one of those night bulbs on the other side to keep the ambient temp up)-gonna have to get a UV but thats no problem, i got fixtures everywhere. Got him a ton of branches/hidespot ect.

Hes extremely jumpy, loves nothing more then to whip his tail at me when i change his water, but yeah, it doesnt bother me considering the bite i took from my 2.5 foot water monitor. Been bitten by nice sized boas all my life too, so i dont find it intimidating.

At this point (unlike more unexperienced keepers that want to constantly handle their animals) I'm just making sure he has fresh water and a fresh selection of greens everyday, and letting him adjust. Todays only the second night i've had him, so I'm not too suprised he hasnt showed interest in any food being hes still acclimating.(also got rep-cal powder from when i owned beardies.

But if it goes on for more then a few days, I have considered dusting a few crickets and tossing them in there to see if it would arouse his appetite, agaisnt my gut instinct as well as yours and many other's knowledge about the problems of protein and iguanas. He was however housed with a beardie, so god knows what those pet shop people had him eating.

But he always has a choice of a variety of greens, fresh water, and good temps in my opinion. Hopefully the little guy will come around. Again I appreciate the comments, and if your willing to help I got a feeling (and i hope I'm wrong) that he might be too stressed to eat, givin his previous living conditions and the enviorment change.

But i'll be posting in detail everyday what hes up to, like i said, I'm not much of an iguana guy, but he was only $20 and I knew he'd probobly have died in that shop, so taking him in is rewarding to me in a different way then when i buy animals to support my own hobby. Anyway thanks again for the help, i'll keep poting so if you get the chance check the forum out the next few days, i really want to help the little guy.

thanks

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Iguana closing eyes - elechal23, Tue Nov 25 17:52:03 2008
<< Previous topic:  Iguana's First Birthday! - wtamuboi, Tue Nov 11 12:20:44 2008