return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Baby spiny soft shell death

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: nilesgirl at Sun Nov 23 18:15:27 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by nilesgirl ]  

Three weeks ago, after reading up on the eastern spiny soft shell turtle, I tried to set up the ideal situation for the 3 month old baby I bought. He was to share an established 30g with 5 rainbow fish and a BN pleco, with a raised sandbox just at the right height for him. His carapace immediately got white spots, and a thin layer peeled off, but with pimafix, salt, and a UVB light, he seemed to recover well. He seemed to be eating well, baby turtle pellets, small earthworms, and clean tubifex worms. After 2 weeks, I did switch out a hang off the back filter with a new Eheim canister, and an established sponge filter, waiting a week to switch the off the back filter with the sponge filter. His death occurred a week after adding the canister filter, and a day after switching from the hang on the back to the sponge filter. The fish all seem fine, and the water parameters are good. One night he was searching for and scarfing up his portion of tubifex worms, the next day he stayed in his sand box, just lifting his nose out of the water, and wouldn't come out to eat. The next day, he ventured out, but it turned out that he was just floating around because he was dying. Finally, after a couple hours his mouth opened and he didn't move anymore.
I am so sad! I was really looking forward to twenty years with this guy.
Any ideas about why he might have died? I know that sometimes tubifex worms can be a problem, but I have never had a problem with my fish eating the tubifex worms I get. He and the fish seemed to ignore each other. No clashes. He seemed happy. I was wondering if the UVB works through the glass lid, but since his skin improved, I figured it must be okay. Hmmm

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]