return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Here are pics!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Green Tree Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Brandon Osborne at Sun Dec 7 21:52:20 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Brandon Osborne ]  

I still think your temps are too high. In my opinion, 84 on the cool side is still way to hot. Most of my animal sit around the 84 range, which is just shy of the heat source. I also continue to cool until I get eggs. It is my opinion, notice I said MY opinion, that excessive heat during fertilization or ovulation can kill sperm.

Females will usually take on a pale color, appearing as though they are stuck in a shed cycle. Their heads look skinny and flat, as opposed to the usual bulbous brain look.

Although for me, this Sunflower's ovulation was only about 6 weeks after breeding, it is unbelivably quick for things to happen this fast. If I were you, and I didn't see an ovulation, I would continue to cool them and pair them on and off. Like I said, my room thermostat is set to a 68 drop from 8 pm until 6 am. This is when most of the magic happens.

From the looks in the pics, it appears she is in shed in the second and third pics. Her color looks to be taking on the effects, but it's not quite typical of aru types. From what I know, they tend to be the most BLUE of all locales when gravid. Her head still looks nice and plump, but as you say, her body doesn't.

Keep cooling, lower temps more, and keep pairing them. You could be missing your window of opportunity.

Good luck.
Brandon Osborne

>>Oh yes, during the whole month of august i cooled them before breeding and kept it cool at night down to 70 during the 5 weeks they bred. Then after I thought she was all swollen up, I kept daytime at 84 on coolside and a basking spot at 92, the basking spot is just one small section on her high perch though. Her cage is 3 feet long, 2 feet high and 2 feet wide. And after the breeding I kept night time at 78 with no basking spot area. Then after what I thought was her prelay shed, I kept the temps at 83/84 all the time.
>>
>>Here are a pic of them breeding and a pic of how plump she looked before she shed.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>

-----
www.brandonosbornereptiles.com

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Here are pics! - bluediamondjason, Fri Dec 12 12:07:03 2008

<< Previous Message:  RE: Here are pics! - bluediamondjason, Sun Dec 7 16:51:39 2008