return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Temp Alarm

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Gila & Beaded Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: DennisDeLapJr at Tue Dec 9 09:22:36 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by DennisDeLapJr ]  

Hello all you great heloderm folks....Still very much a student hear and this will be the first year I'm hibernating my gilas and beadeds cuz against reccomendations of the experts I didnt hibernate my 07 yearlings last year and am not the 08s this year either....but thats another story probably from years of raising torts and other herps that can die pretty easy sleeping the first year...........these guys are Tanks though and simply amaze me how tough they are. Gotta say I'm flat out impressed with my hibernation set up...I'm bringing in air form an insulated garage which stays in the low 50s with a computer fan controled by a ranco cooling therm and have a fail safe larger fan capable of bringing warm air in on a seperate ranco from my utility room set 3 degrees lower (52 deg)than the cooling temp (55 deg)...My beadeds have a seperate thermostat with heatmats set to 64 on the warm end 62 the cool.....Anyhow evryones not ate since Nov 17th and are cooling down a degree or two every couple days this month in their normal caging while I Go over every aspect of this hibernation set up a million times,,,,I truely love my lizards not to mention investing a fortune!lol

Everyones currently in the mid sixties and will be ready to spend Jan at max los like the Drs book describes....I think alls good just really nervous constantly watching for Ris and have made certain everyones gi tracts clear for the most part I hope...they seem fine and very sleepy and I think if the hibernation thing wasn't happening they'd have all busted out of their cages by now starving.......

My main question unless folks see a huge error in this set up is oes anyone know where to buy a loud Temp alarm censor I could put into my set up just in case of a power outtage or something....I've already tested the room without power and with a 17deg night it only dropped to 60 so far anyhow but I want not only to be safe but to feel as safe as possible.....Thanks folks sorry for the novella eager to hear any experiences other folks have with hibernating heloderms please....

happy heloderms and holidays

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Temp Alarm - CBH, Tue Dec 9 09:39:05 2008