return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fox Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Sept 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Sep 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Sept 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Sep 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Sept 30, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Oct 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Oct 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Oct 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Oct 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Oct 15, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

ball python banner pool - click here

ball python banner pool - click here

RE: for the love of.......????

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Ball Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: insangelic at Wed Dec 10 13:49:21 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by insangelic ]  

I am glad you are thinking this through! I've kept pet snakes for years until recently when I acquired my first ball python as a gift. Then the obsession set in worst than what girls have for shoes and purses. I have to admit that the price tags did generate some interest in pursuing breeding but after reading (about 6 months worth of anything I can lay my eyes on) I realized it was much more interesting to understand how the morph genes worked. This isn't to say that money isn't a motive, it just isn't a huge one. I can't really name many hobbies that can sustain itself financially! The money that comes in goes right back into it either in better rack setups, RATS/MICE!!!, etc. If I were to break the reasons down to percentages it would appear as...

for the love of science 50%
for the love of snakes 30%
for the love of the cool factor 10%
for the love of money 10%
for the love of cleaning after them 0% (but I would rather clean tubs than dog/cat poo)

I have a friend who recently got into ball pythons and I hate to say it but his motives seems to be money driven. He "says" he is doing for the love of the hobby... but actions speak otherwise. In 6 months he hasn't kept any snake for more than 2 months. Constantly scouring the classifieds for a good deal and then selling them at a higher premium. I understood his initial reasons for doing so since he had limited funds but in the last few days he mentioned that he heard that corns were the next ball pythons and even seemed interested in changing species. (You know who you are :P)

So...that being said... A hobby is one that you are willing to spend time/energy/money even if it gave you nothing more than enjoyment in return. "Not what the snakes can do for you but what you can do for your snakes!" hehe

I hope this was helpful.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• You Are HereRE: for the love of.......???? - insangelic, Wed Dec 10 13:49:21 2008

>> Next topic:  The whole clutch is out! (Clowns) - Daleporcher, Fri Oct 4 08:00:10 2013
<< Previous topic:  - , Wed Dec 31 18:00:00 1969