return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

uromastyx help

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Uromastyx ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: venessag at Sun Dec 14 13:13:03 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by venessag ]  

I am happy to have found this forum and appreciate all the helpful info. I would appreciate some help. We purchased a Mali Uromastyx for our ten year old three weeks ago from a pet store. She is about 7" long and we were told she was ten months old.

We have been feeding her spring mix lettuce rinsed with water and dusted with calcium powder, bok choy, carrots, peas, millet, ground lentils, sweet potatoes and occasionally grapes and apples. We are in a small community in Alberta, Canada and can't get organic here but we wash well. We fed her three small worms yesterday as we were worried about her eating habits.

Her vivarium is 4 feet long 20" deep and 2 feet wide and we made it from plexiglass. We have a exoterra solar glo heat lamp and another heat lamp as well as we couldn't get it hot enough for her with just one. We use reptisun bulbs for light. Her hot side is 120 and her cold side is 82 during the day. We used play sand as a substrate.

When we bought her she was on crushed walnut, she was being bathed weekly and she was given vegetables daily and worms weekly. When we got her we noticed that the tip of her tail looked like dried up wood and seemed to be drying up and rotting and it seems to have gotten a bit worse since then. I am wondering if this is tail rot and if so, what to do? She does eat some of what we offer every day but I am wondering how much she should be eating as her skin is looser and she has more wrinkles than when we got her a few weeks ago. Her face has started to shed in the past couple of days.

She has a vet visit scheduled for January 3rd but as we are in a small community we can't get in earlier and have to drive an hour to get to a reptile vet. Any advice on how to keep her comfortable during transport?

I have attached some pictures of Ally the Mali. Thanks for your help.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: uromastyx help - venessag, Sun Dec 14 13:25:50 2008