return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: uromastyx help

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Uromastyx ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: rtl402 at Mon Dec 15 11:21:46 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by rtl402 ]  

I see a few issues here. First, how are you measuring temperatures? Basking should be measured with an IR gun and should be between 120-140F. Hot end ambient should be around 100F, cool end 80F, measured with a digital thermometer. Stick on or analog dial ones are inaccurate up to 20%.

Secondly, if the Uro is 11" there is no possible way for it to be 10 months old. The pics paint a very ugly picture of mistreatment before you purchased this Uro. It is incredibly thin and I am not sure what the discoloration is on the tail, hopefully somebody will be able to shed some light on that for you.

As for diet, do not feed any animal protein at all, worms, crickets, etc. Uro's can't handle the protein. Staple greens that should be fed daily would be endive, escarole, chickory, dandelion greens. The other foods you are feeding are ok as rotational foods and in moderation.

Also, as you mentioned this is for a 10 year old. You need to teach your child right away that Uro's are not a 'take me out and play with me' pet. They need very high temperatures and do not tolerate handling very well. They can stress easily and any disruptions in normal behavior can cause issues.

You did mention you have an enclosure of proper size, which is great. Also the UVB is a necessity which you have. Just be sure there is no screen or anything blocking the uvb rays from the Uro, as screen tops will filter out a lot of the uvb rays. Other then those things I would get the Uro to a vet ASAP. If there is a fungus growing in the tail whorls it needs treatment now, not in a few weeks. Try to call around and see if you can get an appt. sooner. Other then that, looks like your on your way to providing well for this Uro. Good luck.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: uromastyx help - venessag, Mon Dec 15 14:54:48 2008

<< Previous Message:  RE: uromastyx help - venessag, Sun Dec 14 13:53:06 2008