return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Very nice.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Iguanas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FutureBoaBreeder at Fri Dec 19 03:04:22 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FutureBoaBreeder ]  

Yeah, I understand that owning any reptile comes with the curiosity of handling them. But husbandry always comes first, and you look like you've taken care of that. There are so many people with big lizards that are mal-nutritioned and stuffed in small enclosures, by the look of your ig's health you seem to have had the patience required to calm her down.

I don't know much about Ig's, I had one when I was very young, she was a really great lizard, everything you'd expect from a pet. But, being that I haven't owned any for so long I couldn't exactly say how old the one I own at present is. He's a little more then a foot with the tail, so not a baby, but still young. But yeah, its always best to try your best not to make her the center of attention... or at least make her THINK that, b/c obviously when trying to calm an animal they ARE the center of attention LOL.

Do your best to make handling consistent, but if you miss a few days here and there its no big deal at all. Just do your best with the time you have, she'll come right along. In my earlier posts you may have noticed that I was pretty cautious about handling reptiles not so keen on being andled. Thats because I own monitors, and had at one point owned a water monitor that was so easily stressed i barely EVER handled her.

But, in my recent experience with this new little guy, Ig's seem to be much more like bearded dragons or well mannered boas and such. And seem to be best handled when they are young rather then old (which is usually the opposite with the big lizards i have owned). Don't worry, she'll come along, but as the poster above stated, head rubs as long as she doesn't scury might be a good idea. And sometimes just simply letting the animal observe you doing daily activities can help in the trust process.

I don't nesicarily beleive reptiles in general can be tamed. They simply build enough trust towards someone to the point where they can be considered docile. Good luck, and keep doing what your doing and always remember when it comes to handling nervous animals no one can really inform you in regards of how to go about it more then your animal itself.
Peace

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Iguana closing eyes - elechal23, Wed Dec 3 20:12:31 2008 image in post