return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Temps/humidity/cage size

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Tegus ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: laurarfl at Wed Dec 31 08:25:42 2008  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by laurarfl ]  

"What are the temps and humidity for the Black and Whites?"
Hi Cheryl. Basking temps are 110-110 with the temperature gradient going down to 75-80 on the cool end.

"What size of enclosure do they need?"
That really depends on the size of the tegu. I kept my hatchling in a 30long so he was a bit secure, then a 40 gal long, then a 4x2. My adults are kept individually in a 6x3, which I think would be about the minimum. A lot of people build their own enclosures and go to 8x4 or 10x4.

"I would like to convert my closet into an enclosure but I don't know how I'd keep the temps and humidity up."
I'm not much of a builder. I remember some folks having this discussion on the Burmese forum and humidity is definitely a consideration. Keeping the moisture up is damaging to structure of the room (walls, floors, etc). If you're feeling adventurous, I would post on the cage and enclosure forum here on kingsnake. There are some pretty creative people over there that have tons of building expertise. I'm sure they could help you out.

"I live in Louisiana but in the winter what are the temps and humidity? Or, is it the same?"
Well, in the winter, B/W tegus hibernate (or brumate, whatever you want to call it, LOL), so indoor temps would be fine. Most tegu keepers I've talked to just turn off the lights to drop the heat, but you want to keep the humidity up somewhat.

As for keeping humidity, I live in FL and my tegus are in the garage. They humidity really isn't a problem for me. In the drier season when humidity drops to about 50%, I just make sure I mist the mulch a little more often. But overall, I have a spray bottle and I mist the mulch to make it moist and not wet.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Temps/humidity/cage size - imthememaw, Sat Dec 27 18:04:04 2008