return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: in the process of setting up a gtp cage.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Green Tree Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Brandon Osborne at Thu Jan 1 23:43:48 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Brandon Osborne ]  

>>looking for tips on a semi realistic enclosure. what types of ground medium ( for helping with moisture/humidity ) heat bulb wattage, perch material ( natural not pvc ) ect would you recommend?. do you recommend UV bulb or not necessary?

First I'll ask, how old or large is the chondro?

Then I'll say, for babies and juveniles, I recommend paper towels for substrate. The risk of using a natural medium is too much for young animals, in my opinion.

For older animals (2 yrs. and up), I would recommend newspaper, but since you want a more natural look cypress mulch would be my first and only choice. Be sure you don't get anything with a colored dye. Rose brand is natural and clean, and can usually be found at most convenience stores or home improvement stores like Home Depot, Lowes, and Menards. Avoid finely shredded mulch as well....it is usually from compost and contains lots of nasty things.

Most people will say not to use light bulbs for heat, but I've used them for many years with much success....also, one of the world's largest and most successful breeders of chondros and emeralds uses only lightbulbs for heat and light. Depending on the size of the enclosure, you will have to be the judge of the wattage. I've used 25-40 watt bulbs in the winter and 7.5-25 watts during the summer. Currently I'm using a 25W mini-spot, which is a low-profile bulb, and does not get hot enough to burn the animals....the biggest advantage of this bulb is the size. It measures around 1 1/4" x 1 1/4" when screwed into the base. Any style of light bulb will work as long as there is no risk of burn to the animal. Halogen and Xenon are usually avoided because of extremely high temps. Risk of burns are very minimal due to chondro behavior, but it's best to always err on the safe side. You do not need UV lighting, but full-spectrum lights do bring out the best colors in chondros. It all depends on what you want.

For perches, most folks use Maple. You can also use Sycamore, Apple, and Pear. Avoid darker woods like mahogany, cherry, etc. These have been know to contain toxins that can harm animals. Just use fresh-cut limbs and avoid limbs that have been cut and laying around for awhile. Also avoid dowels, unless they are sealed with a non-toxic clear coat of some sort. Untreated dowels will mold rapidly if untreated.

If you want to add more flair, you can use live Pothos and Philodendruns. They grow well and chondros rarely damage the plants. These plants are bullet-proof.

Hope this helps.

Brandon Osborne
-----
www.brandonosbornereptiles.com

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: in the process of setting up a gtp cage. - edenspets, Thu Jan 1 23:50:58 2009

<< Previous Message:  in the process of setting up a gtp cage. - edenspets, Thu Jan 1 18:06:31 2009