return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: They do have a clue...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Uromastyx ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: -Ryan- at Sat Jan 24 15:43:26 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by -Ryan- ]  

While this is also true you have to recognize that green iguanas don't do well in captivity because there are very few people that both recognize the difference between good and bad husbandry and have the abilities to apply the good. Green iguanas are usually kept too dry and too cold. That's a recipe for disaster, but that has nothing to do with what we're talking about right now. It has been observed that they will eat animal protein in the wild. Why? Maybe to aid in reproduction, or maybe to build fat reserves. I'm sure it is not a frequent thing, but it happens, just like Red-footed tortoises eating rodents.

Uromastyx have been observed intentionally eating beetles and ants in the wild. We know they do it, so end of that discussion. Then the question becomes both why do they do it, and how much do they usually consume, and I would say those are more important questions to ask than arguing over whether or not they will eat insects in the wild. They are obligate vegetarians, 'obligate' being the key word.

Also, let's all keep in mind that all we have are other peoples' studies. None of us have actually studied their feeding habits and patterns in the wild so we don't really have much to go on. I am going on the studies I have read.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Building custom enclosure: 2 questions - gregory_t, Fri Jan 9 11:04:04 2009
<< Previous topic:  My male egyptian uromastyx (aegyptius) - stingray, Wed Jan 7 07:04:48 2009