return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Building custom enclosure: 2 questions

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Uromastyx ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: rtl402 at Tue Jan 13 12:47:53 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by rtl402 ]  

I went with a 27" width, as some have mentioned 30" is tough to reach to the back to clean. I wanted more then 24", but if 30" was going to be a pain in the neck to clean, I figured split the difference, 27".

Mounting lights on the top may be very tricky, as if you cut a hole for a bulb, and it needs to be moved, you can't undo the cut for the hole. You may want to consider putting your bulbs on the inside. I also suggest using the oak for the entire thing, other then some type of molding around the outside if you choose to use it. Any piece that has contact with the inside of the enclosure (front, back, sides, top and bottom) should probably ALL be oak due to temperatures.

I spoke to the manager at lowes earlier, he can order 1/2" oak ply, but it needs to be ordered by the pallet (50 sheets) and I very much do NOT need 50 sheets heh. I actually need 5, maybe 6 in case I mess up a cut somewhere.

You could definitely use another type of lower cost wood to build your stand out of, as it wont be getting any heat directed onto it. I am also not sure of the pvc material you mentioned, but look into it and see if it can withstand high temps without emitting toxins.

Also, what type of substrate did you plan on using? It may help you decide what to do on the bottom of the enclosure to avoid moisture issues or mold from old substrate

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Building custom enclosure: 2 questions - gregory_t, Tue Jan 13 14:49:37 2009

<< Previous Message:  Building custom enclosure: 2 questions - gregory_t, Tue Jan 13 10:01:18 2009