return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: stick tank

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Frilled Dragons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ckingii at Thu Jan 22 19:44:23 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ckingii ]  

The 100W red bulb sounds about right. I just used an IR thermometer to measure the skin (and thus approximate body) temp on a few of my frillies. Their temps ranged from 85-94F. The 85 reading is a little low for my taste, but it's one of the shy females (#3) and she would rather hide than bask in the warmth. I need to direct more heat on her hiding spot. Your 80' reading sounds a little low if it's under the heat light. You would like the basking spot to be in the 95-105 range. If you provide a warm spot like this at one end of the tank, he can warm up there and then find just the right temp to hang out at. If you provide a proper heat gradient, there won't be any danger of cooking your little guy. If he's too hot he'll move to a colder spot. If you don't provide enough heat, he will suffer a variety of problems: poor growth, infections, not eating, listlessness regurgitation and eventually death.

An IR thermometer is one of the best investments you can make in keeping your frillie happy because it reads the animals temperature, which is really all that matters.

Lights on top if the cage are a problem when feeding, misting and watering. Been there, done that. When we had the 20L setups, I attached all the lights to the screen top. The florescent lamp was taped using packaging tape, and I drilled holes in the dome lights, at the rim, and used twist ties to secure them to the screen. This way I could carefully tilt up and slide back the top. Maybe you could suspend your lights so that you can slide the cover up for feeding.

As far as force feeding or flukers emergency care, I'll let you make your own decision. When I get a new lizard, I expect it will take a week or so before it feels safe and comfortable in it's new home, and that's puting it into a proven cage setup.

Mike

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: stick tank - fc3schick87, Thu Jan 22 21:10:35 2009

<< Previous Message:  stick tank - fc3schick87, Thu Jan 22 01:10:42 2009