return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Possibly in over my head.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Uromastyx ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: arcticflare at Thu Jan 22 11:13:07 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by arcticflare ]  

Okay. I have a friend who had a Mali Uro, but for various reasons could not keep it any longer. I agreed to take it in for a while. At first, it was supposed to be a temporary thing, but I got attached to the little girl. However, it seems that the terrarium I was given with her was designed more for looks than for function.

If we are right, Vash (who was originally assumed to be male) is just under 5 years old.

Original Basking Temp: ~105 degrees
Original Warm End Temp: ~90 degrees
Original Cool Air Temp: ~80 degrees

I am most concerned about her tail. She hasn't finished shedding for a while, and began quite a while ago. Worried about the lack of spines on the new layer, as well as the stubborn remaining layers. I tried the bathing process, and got a small piece off (about half of one row.) She fought ferociously, but eventually resigned herself to a little bit of tail dampness. Unfortunately, I noticed what appeared to be blood slowly dripping into the water from one of her spines. I was unable to find the location of this after I dried her off.

She also appeared rather thin when I first got her, especially compared to most other Uro's I've seen. I have been feeding her daily, but only in modest amounts at first. I didn't want her overeating, although that's probably rare with Uros.

I've also upped the heating.

Daytime: 150 watt basking lamp, 100 watt basking lamp, 100 or 150 watt daylight lamp.

Basking spot: 120 degrees
Warm End Ambient: 100 degrees
Cool End Ambient: 80 degrees

Nighttime: 150 watt infrared lamp.

Warm end ambient: 80 degrees
Cool End Ambient: ~65 degrees

Humidity is usually about 30 degrees.

I live in the northeast and it is freezing these days. I have tried covering part of the tank in a clean towel to retain heat, but I'm not sure about any negative effect this might have. I also have a space heater running in the room, but it rarely gets the room as warm as I'd like it to be.

As for diet, I have been feeding her Dole Field Greens. It consists of romaine lettuce, curly endive, carrots and radicchio. I have slowly been introducing Bok Choy into her diet, and plan on one or two calcium-stuffed crickets a week.

My final concern is about my local veterinarian. I am afraid that they wouldn't have experience with this kind of animal. Is this going to be a problem, or do they more than likely know what they're doing?

Please review and tell me what I could be doing to make this a happier, healthier lizard.
A small selection of pictures.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Possibly in over my head. - missanne2u, Thu Jan 22 21:09:56 2009
>> Next Message:  RE: Possibly in over my head. - missanne2u, Thu Jan 22 21:12:37 2009
>> Next Message:  RE: Possibly in over my head. - Paradon, Thu Jan 22 23:03:12 2009