return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: need help!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Tree Frogs ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: JessicaRenee at Fri Feb 6 00:40:33 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by JessicaRenee ]  

I keep my own frogs in a dorm and they do fine around 72-75, personally. If they seem a little chilly (Digging into the substrate, lying on the ground, etc), turn the lamp on. Unlike lizards and some snakes, Whites' don't need a light for their habitat. Using it is fine, just make sure he can't touch it or has somewhere to get out of the light as they can sunburn their skin.

As for the hiding, Whites' are nocturnal and would get munched on my predators during the day if they were found so they like to smush themselves into little holes and hide under plants. If you don't have any yet, those fake plants with the suction cups they sell at petstores are great. My little guys are always sleeping behind those (Plus you can get a peek at them during the day while they're sleeping!) If you dim the room in the evening and keep quiet, you may be able to see your new frog exploring his new home. Mine always take a dip in the water dish first thing before climbing around.

As the other poster said, frogs need movement to find their food so live crickets are the way to go. Best way to deal with them is to make or buy a cricket keeper and keep them in a semi-dark area. I keep mine in a plastic tupperware type cup with holes punched in it with a couple pieces of egg carton in it. When you feed, just pop the top and turn the cup sideways but not completely over. Crickets will walk out on their own and fall into the frog tank. It's the best way to not have to touch them. The larger crickets do "sing" at night but I find it kind of relaxing, especially in the winter.

Projectile pee is just the frog being a bit scared of you. They don't drink water so they soak up water and store it in their bladder. Most of the pee is water so a quick wipe up is all that is needed if they do pee. Whites' are known to be fairly friendly pet frogs so just give him time, he should come around. Start slow at first, the frog may have never had human contact before the pet store, placing the frog on your hand in the tank and letting him sit there. I have one frog (not a Whites' but another tree frog species) that I suspect is a wild caught animal. She is TERRIFIED of me but has slowly graduated to allowing me to watch her while she's sitting in the frog tank or letting me get in to mist a bit without freaking out.

Sounds like you're starting out fine with your new frog. Just get him some live crickets and he should be a chubby little thing soon enough.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  need help! - katiee12120, Tue Feb 3 22:18:48 2009