return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

True shipping story

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Shipping Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: rainbowsrus at Fri Feb 13 17:48:53 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by rainbowsrus ]  

I received two BRB's today via Delta Dash. There was a mix-up between Delta and the shipper so instead of same day, they overnighted in Atlanta before catching the early flight here.
When I opened the box my heart sank. In the tubs they were belly up, colder than cold, lifeless and limp. No signs of movement or life whatsoever. Heat pack was barely putting out any heat at all. I thought for sure they were dead. I've pulled dead ones from litters and these were just like that except of course they were also very cold. I've received cold ones before but none any where near as cold as these two.

Still at the Delta counter, I pulled them out held them each cupped in one hand. After about 10-15 minutes I thought I could see some movement in the male but was not sure. A few minutes later he clearly took a breath, small but clear. A little while later he started moving around with very little control. Eventually once he warmed up enough he seemed to regain control and pressed himself to my warm hand.

While this was going on the female showed zero signs of life, clearly warmer than when I first picked her up but still just as limp as when I took her out. A while later after at least 20 - 30 inutes of holding her, I actually gave up and put her back in her cup. As I set the cup down I thought I saw her move. Pulled her back out and held her some more. Same sequence of recovery but at a much, much slower pace.

I have them both home in their quarantine enclosures.

Important point for all, don't assume lack of life signs means dead. Being ectotherms, they have survival skills we can only imagine. They can and do survive very cold temps, probably not for extended periods but at least for short term exposures. I know what ultimately saved them was slow gentle warming cupped in my hands. I have read that that warming too fast can be bad for cold snakes. I don't know if that's true or not, I do know that slow warming worked on these two lifeless babies. I wish I had brought a temp gun so I could know how cold they actually were, they did not feel as cold as an ice cube but pretty darn close. They were making my hands cold for the first 10-15 minutes.
-----
Thanks,

Dave Colling

www.rainbows-r-us-reptiles.com

0.1 Wife (WC and still very fiesty)
0.2 kids (CBB, a big part of our selective breeding program)

LOL, to many snakes to list, last count:
26.49 BRB
20.21 BCI
And those are only the breeders

lots.lots.lots feeder mice and rats

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: True shipping story - kamptraining, Sun Aug 30 19:18:49 2009