return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Eating and sleeping behavior change.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Anoles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Thamnophile at Fri Mar 13 12:51:00 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Thamnophile ]  

Also, if you're not sure of the sex of the anole, could it be a female looking dig a spot to lay eggs, but not finding the bark to her liking (it's too big, hard to move, and needs to be moister, like the eco-earth bedding).

If you're sure it's a male.... what else has changed? Is it now colder in that room - anoles may bury themselves in substrate if it's so cool that they're thinking "hibernation" (anoles don't hibernate, but they will seek to protect themselves from cold snaps in their environment. Brown anoles down south have proved to be slightly less cold tolerant than green anoles...

Those are my initial ideas... or could it be sick from internal parasites?

Just some ideas...

Lisa

>>I got a brown anole late December. His health has obviously improved A LOT since I got him from the pet store. His behavior toward me has been consistent - I do not scare him easily. He does run from other people, which is good. I would be concerned if he wasn't running at all.
>>
>>Feeding time has always been exciting for him. He knows when I drop food in, and he always used to go hunting immediately. However, the past few days he doesn't really seem interested. He'll watch me drop food in, and knows it's there. But he doesn't chase after it. I do see him eat sometimes a while after I "feed" him, but haven't really seen him actively hunt. I don't know if I should be concerned with this sudden change of behavior. He doesn't appear to be losing body mass.
>>
>>Another behavior change that started the same day his feeding behavior changed, is he doesn't sleep in the same spot anymore. During the day I found it peculiar that he was going all over the cage moving substrate around. Building mounds and making ditches. Then at night, where he used to sleep by sticking himself to a glass wall, he instead buried himself under the substrate. He had his head under, but body and tail out. Tonight he is completely under the substrate, I barely found him by seeing a very small visible part of his tail through the substrate. I have bark chips for substrate. He now always buries himself at night.
>>
>>Both of these behavior changes are sudden after almost 2 whole months of having him. Should I be concerned? What could it mean?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Eating and sleeping behavior change. - x87bliss, Fri Mar 13 17:07:23 2009

<< Previous Message:  Eating and sleeping behavior change... - x87bliss, Fri Feb 20 00:20:10 2009