return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: First Time Owner Needs Advice

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Iguanas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: laurarfl at Thu Feb 26 08:10:52 2009  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by laurarfl ]  

I'm glad you're taking the time to research your ig needs!

Leafy greens are great, avoid spinach and lettuce. You can also add some diced veggies like squash and green beans, plus a little fruit. He feels insecure which is why he won't eat in front of you. That will change in time, I'm sure. Perhaps the cage lay out is such that the bowl can be in the back corner or a more secure spot that isn't front center in full view of spectators.

The feces description in the other post is spot on, but it may be dried by the time you find it, so it's a little black stick thingy. What is your substrate?

Not pooing for 3 weeks would be a bit of concern, if that is the case and it's just not hidden. I would think of things like insufficient food intake, dehydration, cool temps, and worse case scenario-impaction. Then I would look at all of those issues and make sure 1)The ig is eating enough and the food is moistened/misted a bit 2)The ig is misted daily and has a tub of water he can fit into. I would add a bit of fruit for extra water. 3)I would check temps to make sure the basking temp and overall temp is warm enough for digestion and to encourage the little guy to be a bit active. If there is really no poo anywhere in the cage, I would also think about catching the little guy and giving him a nice lukewarm bath for about 20 min.

Hope that helps and keep us posted!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Energy Efficient Lighting - JennyA, Fri Feb 27 13:01:59 2009
<< Previous topic:  Iguana basking site ideas - resims, Thu Feb 19 23:38:49 2009